Parroquia de San Antonio de Padua – Architecture

San Antonio de Padua parish was built between 1853 and 1861 according to a design by Italian architect Eusebio Chelli.

The Baroque building is erected over a basilica-shaped layout, composed of three naves separated by Corinthian-style columns in order to facilitate interior illumination. The central nave is taller than the lateral ones. Nave ceiling is lintelled and is profusely decorated.

Its foundations are made of stone, and its 1.5-meter-thick walls are made of bricks with lime mortar. Lateral walls are coated with stucco and paint. Wooden columns are covered with plastered cloth and marbleized painting. Roof is made of oak and cypress.

The temple is headed by a large atrium that is 70 meters long and 16 meters wide.

Façade is composed of pilasters framing accesses. Main access is crowned with a large triangular pediment. Besides, the central nave is taller than the lateral ones, and it is also crowned with a triangular pediment. Façade wall is decorated with some moldings. Façade is painted in Colonial red, while pilasters and decorations are painted in white. Allegedly, façade bricks were made right here by the Capuchin brothers.

 

 

 

Be Sociable, Share!