Once the Augustinian Nun Order was incorporated canonically in 1576, the first convent was built in the lands located between the current Moneda, Agustinas, Ahumada and Bandera Streets. On the corner of Ahumada with Agustinas the first temple is similarly built, made from adobe with beams, wood trusses and a straw roof.

This construction was absolutely destroyed in the 1647 earthquake and later it was rebuilt in the same site.

After some time the Order acquires the southern block, where the church is currently located, they joined together the two blocks closing Moneda Street with the permission of the Cabildo (town council). At this time, the southern block had a mass wine vineyard, orchards, a chicken coop and a laundry. The convent had built cells, designed and ornamented with the personal preferences of each nun, since most of the sisters belonged to wealthy families they even had personal servants within the convent to serve them. Further still, the cells were the private property that was inherited to the family of the novice or it was sold to another nun.

The second temple, re-built in the same corner is also made from adobe, formed by a nave, with a tile roof with two slants and an adjacent tower. A new earthquake, this time the one in 1730, completely destroyed the temple and was then re-built in the same place.

In 1850 Moneda Street becomes a road for public use, dividing the convent in two and it is the architect Vicente Larraín who solves the problem by building an underground passage that communicates both buildings.

Afterwards, the lots of the northern block are sold and they are left with the lands that comprised the southern block, moving the Church to the place we currently know.

The drawings of this new temple were entrusted to Vicente Larraín, but the work is built in 1857 under Eusebio Chelli.

The work takes many years to be built and in 1868, it still did not have the towers. Although the towers are attributed to Fermín Vivaceta, there is no document that backs this theory, however the style of these towers correspond to others built by Vivaceta. There are documents that state that Chelli had only been in charge of the framing and structure of the temple.

The Church of Las Agustinas is entrusted to Eusebio Chelli and is designed in a neoclassical architecture, whose façade has four Doric columns. It has an access staircase of five stone steps. On the side of there are double leaf wood entrance doors and have two columns in a Corinthian style with a chamfering abacus.

It has a wood inner doorway combined with stained glass windows in its top part. In the upper part of the Church, there are two Corinthian style octagonal towers, attributed to Fermín Vivaceta.

The church has a Basilica-type floor layout, formed by a high central nave and two narrow and low lateral naves, separated by a Serliana arcade formed three semicircular arches and architraves sustained by pillars with pilaster ornaments in a Corinthian style, plus five Corinthian style columns with a chamfering abacus.

The walls are of brickwork, structured with thick pilasters. The interior circular columns are of cast iron and the columns of the narthex are of stone. The roof framework is made of oak wood.




Be Sociable, Share!